Monday, June 18, 2012

Be ready to care, be ready to be a Red Cross First Aider!



The Philippine Red Cross Offers a wide variety of trainings that will help an individual to save people’s lives in time of need. And it is really a great help that they do not require you to be in the medical field to apply for a course because the certificate you get could help you land a job here and abroad. One of their training is First Aid management and Basic Life Support.


 
I had just experience one of the coolest training ever this first week of June. My company just sent me to Red Cross so I could train to be a first aider. It was cool First ‘cause I met a lot of people in different fields of healthcare (Geriatric, PT, and so on)  as well as non health related fields like engineering and construction.

DYING!!
Second, even though I studied nursing for four years, I was surprised that I could still learn a lot of things in terms of first aid management in different situation.

Third is I was shocked that all the instructors in Red Cross are VOLUNTEERS! Yes, meaning they are not paid for what they teach, they are not paid for who they help, and they are not paid for saving lives! It’s really a surprise, especially when they tell us how they manage night shifts daily and how they have stayed there for years, with the moral support of their family.

Epic Instructors!!


It’s really a fun experience! And I’m really thinking to volunteer also on my day offs; they said you could ride the ambulance with them once you get the beat of how to do it. (Adrenalin rush!!!)


The training lasts for 6 days
Monday- Saturday (done weekly) and it usually takes the whole day (8 am -5 pm)
Training cost and requirements differs per chapter, 
so you might want to call the nearest chapter of Red Cross in your place. 
You can check out the numbers of the different chapters on their website:


 As for me, I did my training in the Quezon City Chapter and it cost 1700. (Includes medical certificate and a bronze membership card for a year that entitles you for their insurance/ medical assistance)
It’s really fun, and meeting those people for a short period of time is like having friends that you had for a decade. Hope you have the same experience too.

No comments:

Post a Comment